This is my second attempt at making New Year’s resolutions. In the Armenian tradition it’s all about making a New Year’s wish. The American tradition is about making resolutions. This year, I’ve embraced both traditions. I’ve made a New Year’s wish and last year’s failed resolutions will get a second chance this year.
So here they are…
- Learn how to swim. I just didn’t get around to this last year. I think private lessons might be in order.
- Spend less and pay off Visa. There’s no good reason for me to be in debt. Other than I love spending. It’s way less than the American average debt but still. So, I’ve decided to go on a financial diet. I’m going to try and live on a $100 a week budget for about 3 months. That’s all the money for food/gas/entertainment. I think I can do it. I used to do on less than that in college. I used to pay rent, bills, and have money for entertainment on A LOT less money than I earn now. So, I think $100 is doable.
- Limit myself to 4 alcoholic beverages when I go out.* During the week I don’t drink. But lately I’ve noticed that when I go out — and when I’m not driving — I have a tendency to drink more than I should. And sadly, I’ve become a lightweight over the years. The good news is I’m a cheap date. The bad news is I’m a cheap date. And I really hate the morning after. New Year’s Eve was a lot of fun. But New Year’s Day… well… it took me two Ibuprofen 600s, 32 ounces of coffee, a whole bunch of water and a few additional hours in the morning to feel OK enough to go to spinning class.
- Try to figure out what to do with my life AND take some steps towards achieving that goal. I might need to make some changes in my current comfortable existence.
- Be a little more patient. Patience is NOT one of my virtues. I’m fully aware of this. And I’m trying really hard to get a handle on this.
- Travel somewhere new. I haven’t had a real vacation in quite some time. This year, I plan to take one. Hopefully someplace where I can get a stamp on my passport. Don’t know where but definitely someplace new.
* This rule does not apply if it’s my birthday or a wedding. Or Hanttulian’s birthday… but his birthday is on St. Patrick’s day, so technically it’s a holiday and I said 4 drinks A NIGHT… so drinking Guinness at 6 a.m. to celebrate Hanttulian’s birthday does not count towards the 4 drinks per night maximum.
Շնորհաւոր Նոր Տարի եւ Սուրբ Ծնունդ
I love being an exception to someone’s resolutions. Next time we’re out together, we’ll have a toast (or 4!) to St. Patrick’s Day!