One of my all time favorite cinematic moments is the shopping scene from Pretty Woman, starring Julia Roberts. I know I’m not the only woman who loves this scene. The one where Vivienne, the smart, gorgeous prostitute played by Julia Roberts, is being catered to at a fancy clothing store in Rodeo Drive, courtesy of Edward Wilson, Richard Gere’s character.
And now, there’s a real life pretty woman in town. No, not another hooker with a heart of gold. It’s Sarah Palin, a beauty queen governor all the way from Alaska. And who’s her John? It’s John McCain and the GOP. They have taken the girl from Alaska and given her a big city makeover, with fancy labels and expensive shoes from Neiman Marcus and Barneys New York. The same places where millions of working class women shop for clothes. Where Joe-Six-Pack and Joe-The-Plumber go shopping for Christmas presents.
So go ahead Sarah, keep preaching to the not-so-bright masses that the GOP is out to help them. They don’t know better. They just need a gun-toting, skirt-wearing, tough-talking girl with a million-dollar smile, to help them feel better when they’re out of a job because the Republican policies shipped those jobs abroad. They might not be able to put bread on the table, but I’m sure your bright smile will keep them warm and fuzzy inside.
Sarah Palin before GOP makeover
Another Pre-Makeover Picture of Sarah Palin
Sarah Palin after the GOP gave her a Vice-Presidential makeover
Read Full Post »
For watching the Rachel Zoe Project. I really do. I’m surprised about these feelings of guilt and disgust towards a show that has to do with fabulous clothes and celebrities. Normally, something like this would be on top of the list for me. I watched two episodes during the beginning of the season and tonight I find myself watching the finale. It’s out of desperation… There’s nothing set to record on DVR, nothing interesting on HGTV, don’t want to torture myself by anything on Food Network since I’m dieting and they always have some sort of dessert competition when I’m dieting, and so it’s time for Bravo. And I’m stuck with Rachel Zoe… I think prune-face is a good description.
So here are my objections with Rachel Zoe and her project…
- Rachel is always stressed. So stressed. She makes it seem like the world is going to come to an end if she doesn’t deliver the right dress. I mean she is a stylist. No one is going to die if she screws up. Nothing she does is life-threatening or life-saving.
- Her mouth. Something about her mouth bothers me. I don’t know what it is… I’m not against wrinkles, but something seems a little fake around her lip area. Or maybe she could use some botox.
- The way she talks. It seems like she has practiced really hard to come across like a prima donna. Maybe it’s because of the way she talks that her mouth has taken that strange form.
- Brad and Taylor. The dysfunctional duo. I don’t even know where to start. Taylor, chill out. Brad, get some balls.
- Rodger. Poor Rodger. How has he stayed married for so long? I actually don’t dislike him. He’s probably the one OK part of the show. Oh, and why does he spell his name like that? Was Roger too blue collar? Did he add an extra “d” just to make it sound more stylish? Did Rachel make her do it?
- Taylor. Why does she talk like that? Seriously. Why does she talk really, really slow. Why is she always acting like she has a stick up her ass? And why won’t she stop picking on Brad?
- Brad. Why are you always crying? Stop crying. There’s no crying in fashion!!!
And finally, I can’t believe Rachel Zoe gets paid for this. I can’t believe she has a show on Bravo about the daily nonsense in her life and I can’t believe I’m watching it.
Read Full Post »
This was in my junk email today… Just wanted to share.
To: [my email address]
Subject: McCain Democrats, Continuing the Fight
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2008 22:42:58 -0700
Many of you were strong Hillary Clinton supporters. In light of the recent events we realize that many of you are unsure how to best use your vote.
As democrats we find ourselves in a similar situation of doubt as to how best continue the fight this November election. In response, we have a created a site specifically for voters like you: democrats who wish to continue the fight we have worked so long and hard to support. (more…)
Read Full Post »
Posted in Current Events, Election 2008, Politics, tagged joe bide for VP, joe biden won the debate, palin biden debates, Sarah Palin, sarah palin does not belong in the white house, sarah palin doesn't know what she's talking about, sarah palin is not presidential, Sarah Palin unqualified, vice presidential debates on October 2, 2008 |
7 Comments »
Don’t try to downplay the tone of this important debate, by asking Senator Biden, “May I call you Joe?” I’m glad you crammed for this exam, I mean debate. It looks like you have an answer for everything. Too bad none of the answers are for the questions being asked. Enough! I’m tired of you simplifying important issues. I’m tired of the hockey-mom schtick. I’m tired of the word maverick. I don’t want another maverick as my president. That’s just another word for “I don’t know what the heck I’m doing.” I’ve seen the damage done by a maverick. I don’t want a maverick for president, because this isn’t the wild, wild west. This used to be the greatest nation in the world. Used to be… until a certain maverick from Texas lied and cheated his way into the White House. (more…)
Read Full Post »